| Home | Fading Captain Series | GBV News | The
Band | The Music | The Critics & Fans | Merchandise
| Other Stuff |
Band Interviews and Articles
Rest In Peace
- Nude as the News' GBV Eulogy.
Finally A Derogotis Story
- Chicago Sun Times rock critic FINALLY writes a GBV story.
Coming Full Circle
- One of the first major rock critics to write about GBV, Chicago Tribune's Greg Kot, talks to Bob about the final show.
- The Emory Online newspaper lists Bob is their top 10 front men in rock.
No More Beer Showers Please
- A preview for the Orlando show.
Getting Back to Ground Zero
- Bob explains the break up of GBV to the Washington Post.
No John Denver
- The New York Post gets the downlown on the final days of GBV.
Saying Goodbye to the Northwest
- Stevie Chick chats with Bob in his preview for the Northwest finale.
End of an Era
- Cincinnati Enquirer does its GBV wrap up piece.
Just Bob from Dayton
- CityBeat looks back on Bob and ahead with Bob.
- Incendiary looks back at the albums in the Guided By Voices arsenal.
The Deal is Sealed
- Bob talks with Plan B magazine about the end of GBV.
- Don Thrasher's article on the $6,200 Propeller.
- Reflections on Bob
- PopMatters with an in-depth piece reflecting upon the career of the Fading Captain.
- And They Changed My Life
- Bob talks with Spin about his life changing LPs.
- The Influence of Bobby Pop
- Jimmy Eat World's Jim Adkins talks about his love of GBV.
- The Fountain of Youth
- Resonance interviews Bob and asks for fatherly advice.
- Unpeeling Bob
- UK's Unpeeled interviews Bob. Some great secrets revealed.
- History Lesson in Two Parts
- Sponic Zine tackles the GBV history in two parts.
- Shocker of a Riff
- GBV's Shocker in Gloomtown makes Stylus Magazine's Top 10 Indie Riff List.
- The Day the Voices Died
- The Black Table pays tribute to the monster that is GBV.
- Loud and Beer
- The Orlando Sentinel tries to explain the madness behind a GBV show in Orlando.
- Bob is Fab
- Fab from the Strokes tells NME why he loves GBV.
- All the GBV That's Fit To Print
- Front page, art section, New York Times, 'nough said.
- We're A Guitar Band
- Chorus and Verse catches up with Doug and talks about Hardcore UFOs, Earthquake Glue and what's coming up next.
- Musical Therapy
- FFWD in Calgary chats with Bob about the music industry and Hardcore UFOs.
- From the Way Back Machine
- Special thanks to Liz Clayton for linking up and sending me one of the original first Bob Pollard
interviews from Wind-Up Toy in 1994!
- Robert's Universe
- Nick Bensen and Free City Media get the full low down on the Hardcore UFOs box from Bob.
- True Hall of Famer
- Georgia Straight catches up with Bob and chats about the upcoming box set.
- Meet the Bass Player
- Local boy makes good, the Oregonian chats with new bassist Chris Slusarenko.
- Bob's take on Rock
- Article from Holland with Bob. It is written in Dutch but if you click on the speaker icon you will hear the audio of interview.
- Doug and Sponic
- Sponic Mag chats it up with Doug.
- Stripped Down Rock
- Plan 9 Music chats with Bob.
- Pioneers of Lo-Fi
- Recoil chats with Bob about Earthquake Glue and more.
- Who's Eating Gilbert's Grapes
- Harp does a main feature on Bob and GBV.
- Keep Going
- Great interview with Bob from X-Ray.
- Not As Drunk As We Used To Be
- Gallery of Sound talks with Bob about Earthquake Glue.
- Talking with Tim
- Nick Miller intervies Tim Tobias for Unpeeled in the UK.
- No Hit Stuff
- Article from 1978 detailing Bob's no hitter thrown in college.
- Gargoyles and
- Buffalo's Art Voice interviews Bob for a Buffalo show preview.
- Swimming in a Giant Glass of Beer
- Bob gets kidnapped by the Buffalo BEAST.
- A GREAT article from the Riverfront Times in St Louis on Bob and GBV.
- The Amazing Neckrophone
- Stuff Magazine talks to Bob and gets the lo down on the Fading Captain Series.
- Best Job in the World
- GBV finally makes it to Lexington KY and he talks about it with the Lexington
- Creative Doug
- New York Press talks to Doug about his recent soundtrack for Creative Process 473.
- Ohio Hall of Famers
- Columbus Alive talks with Bob about the upcoming GBV album and their place in rock history.
- Happy in Trying Times
- Comes With A Smile #11, comes through with an interview with Bob (as well as
a live GBV track on their comp).
- Bob and Rat
- The Miami New Times previews the upcoming GBV show by talking with Bob and the
infamous Rat Bastard.
- One For The Rambunctious Middle Aged Followers
- The Asbury Park Press previews the upcoming GBV show with Nate.
- Doug's Mullett
- The Stone Pony newsletter previews the GBV show with an interview with Doug.
- Fret Talk
- FretWeb gets the lowdown from Doug.
- And It Changed My Life
- Uncut asks Bob what album changed his life.
- Beers With Bob
- One of the beers With Bob contest winner reports back on the festivities.
- Like Clockwork
- Mean Streets talks with Bob about UTAC and future plans.
- On The West Coast
- Doug talks with Virgin Megastore out on the west coast on the new album and other things.
- GBV Buying Guide
- Bob sits down with MOJO and gives an overview on what GBV albums to buy for the GBV beginner.
- Frozen Bean and Cheese Burritos
- WashingtonPost.com preview of the 930 Club show.
- Sonically Interesting
- Tim Tobias talks with the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel about the new album and GBV live.
- Everyone Was Shoegazing
- Stevie Chick's full interview with Bob.
Soul of Rock
- Michael Goldberg writes an excellent piece on the band on his neumu.com
- Guided By Roses
- The Post Crescent chats with Doug about the new album and tour.
- A GBV Jolt
- Billboard Magazine piece on the current state of GBV.
- The Lazy Workaholic
- Stevie Chick's piece in Seattle's The Stranger.
- Still The Kings
- Great Seattle Weekly piece on why GBV is still number one.
- GBV Fans Duty
- Fred Mills article in Seattle Weekly telling all that you're missing if UTAC is the only recent Pollard release you have purchased.
- You Only Get Paid For 12
- Barnes and Noble.com interview with Bob.
- Open for the Romantics?!
- Maximum Ink geers up the Wisconsin crowd for GBV's multiple appearances at the end of June.
- You're Reborn Every Morning, Get Your Shit Together
- KindaMuzik sits down and chats with bob and Nate.
- Drinking Whiskey & Hanging In the Basement
- Stevie Chick chats with Bob for a Playlouder.com feature.
- What Are The 4 P's?
- Full version of an interview with Bob with Mike Minney for Seattle's The Tablet.
- '60s Melody '70s Heaviness
- London Times sits down and talks with Bob.
- The Dallas Observer previews GBV's June appearance and calls Bob a mountain of melody that no one's been able to climb higher than the tree line
- There's Prolific and Then There's Bob Pollard
- Pulse Magazine goes over a few of the latest releases in the Pollard catalog.
- Observing From the Outside
- GBV returns to Athens to preview Universal Truths and Cycles.
- How To Avoid The Hangover
- Blender's April 2002 edition includes 37 tips on life from stars from around the world. Bob offers the most
important advice of them all.
- Going Home Again
- Rollingstone.com piece on GBV's return to Matador.
- Taking Chances Again
- The Octopus in Champaign IL chats with Doug Gillard.
- No Songs About Girls
- Very informative and well written article from the Georgia Straight on the new album.
- Postal Rock
- Bob talks with NEUMU's Michael Goldberg about his latest Fading Captain projects and the new GBV album.
- Putting the ME in MeZine
- MeZine's interviews with their favorite webmasters turns up yours truly.
- Electric Newspaper Writer
- Ed Kinsella, THE Electric Newspaper Boy, spends two days and nights with GBV and The Strokes in Harlem and tells us all about it.
- Paper GBVer
- Washington Post writer David Segal joins GBV on stage at the Trocadero.
- Compare and Contrast
- In Wavelength's running compare and contrast article it's Robert Smith vs Robert Pollard.
- Bob = All 4 Beatles
- BOMB Magazine interview with Bob.
- What's Up Ahead
- The Coast in Nova Scotia talks with Bob and reveals some new projects Bob is working on.
- Believe The Hype
- Story from the Halifax Herald previewing a GBV weekend in Nova Scotia.
- GBV Quiz-time
- Interview with Bob from Mean Magazine.
- Layers of Guitars
- Guitar World does a feature on the power rock of GBV and Isolation Drills.
- Setting the Record Straight
- Bob talks with Dayton's Impact Weekly about his adversary relationship with the Dayton Daily News.
- Doing It For The Right Reasons
- The Ottawa Express previews the July 2001 Barrymore show....that is actually cancelled.
- Rockin' Jock
- The National Post SPORTS section talks about Bob's sports history.
- Like Tiger Woods and The Simpsons
- Excerpts from the Big Takeover's cover story on Bob.
- Playing Army
- Tulsa World previews June's GBV show.
- Letting It Bleed
- Peter Bothum and Rockpile feature Bob on the cover and chat with him about Isolation Drills.
- The Song He Sings Has Meaning
- CMJ discusses Isolation Drills with Bob.
- Alice Rod and Alex
- Time Out New York plays Bob some music and sees if he can guess who it is.
- GBV Poetry
- Chicago poet Thax Douglas created poems for each band member and read them before shows on the 2001 tour.
- Courtney Loves Cock
- Swizzle Stick sits down and talks with Bob.
- Talkin With Tim
- Northwestern University talks with Tim Tobias before the Noise Pop fest show.
- Poetry at 90 MPH
- The Pittsburgh Post Gazette previews GBV's Beehive show.
- Open String Drones
- The on-line guitar magazine Grace and Fury features none other than Bob Pollard.
- What's the Score Boys?
- GBV takes Chart Attack's Rock Geek Elitist Quiz.
- Rock's Teacher
- Columbus Dispatch article from the weekend before the release of Isolation Drills.
- Hanging in Lo-Ho
- Revolver Magazine article written during the recording of Isolation Drills.
- The New Religion
- All hail the mighty beer bootle and the mighty mighty GBV.
- The King Of Krispy Kreme
- Cover story from Toronto's The Eye.
- Harmony Rocket
- Guitar World does a little feature on GBV's 3 guitar heroes.
- Party Texas Style
- The Dallas Observer previews the upcoming GBV show.
- This Buds for You
- RollingStone.com interview with Bob.
- Coming of Age With a Twist
- Excellent piece from the Phoenix Times talking about Isolation Drills and current status of the band with Bob.
- What Time is It?
- An AMAZING GBV timeline from Exclaim magazine from Canada.
- The MJ of Rock
- New York Observer marches through a NYC record store with Bob.
- Video Interview
- Check out Bob on RollingStone.com interviewed by Greg Kot.
- The Secret Message
- Bob talks with the Minneapolis/St. Paul City Pages about lyrical meanings.
- How's His Drinking
- Milwaukee Journal Sentinel article previewing the GBV show at the Rave Underground.
- Bob chats with Splendid Magazine on the eve of the first show from the Isolation Drills tour.
- The Switch To Lite
- The Louisville Courier-Journal gets the scoop on the big beer switch.
- 30-Something Drunks
- Bob talks with the Greenville News about how his songwriting has changed over the years.
- Hendrix SHOULD Open for the Monkees
- Bob chats with the Times-Union in Jacksonville and discusses amongst other things one of his favorite rock singers, Mickey Dolenz.
- Who's Next? GBV!
- In a talk with the Free Times in SC Bob tells them that the new album has a Who's Next feel to it.
- Theosophy and Biographies
- Bob talks with the Metro Pulse from Knoxville about how his song writing has progressed.
- The Charlie Brown of Rock
- Vanity Fair talks to Bob about the upcoming Isolation Drills.
- Ode to Bob
- Some poetry to GBV from Thax Douglas.
- Dark and Personal
- In the Spectator, Bob talks about the upcoming album in this New Year's Eve show preview.
- Santa Bring Me Suitcase
- The Winnipeg Sun offers up Suitcase on its Holiday Shopping Guide.
- It's The End of the Year As We Know It
- Cincinnati's CityBeat has multiple GBV references in their Year In Music issue.
- Suitcase & Beyond
- Mike Jolly and Entertainment Today talk with Bob about Suitcase and Broadcaster House.
- Bee Thousand Rocks
- Exclaim! Magazine's 100 albums that rocked 100 issues has Bee Thousand in
- Flying Objects
- Story from the Chicago Tribune on items flying on to the GBV stage.
- A Large Metal Suitcase
- CMJ does the Q & A thing with Bob ob Suitcase.
- Just Having Fun
- The Ottawa Sun talks to Bob about Suitcase and beer.
- Just Like Mozart
- The Ottawa Xpress previews GBV's Ottawa appearance.
- What's Wrong With Straightforward Rock?
- Bob talks with the Kalamazoo Gazette about new GBV members and the next
- 25 Years of Surrealist Prog-Pop
- ICE previews the release of Suitcase.
- Bob and the Positive Gang
- A story from Shout magazine in NY on GBV.
- One Word - Suitcase!
- AP tells the world about the upcoming monumental release.
Archie to James Honeyman-Scott
- Soundcheck with Doug Gillard from the Cleveland Free Times.
- Don't read if you think Sting is cool!
- Seattle Times talks with Bob about their upcoming West Coast tour.
- Sexiest Middle Aged Rocker
- Seattle preview for the GBV/Matthew Sweet pairing from Pandomag.com.
- Happiness in Lazyeye
- In an interview with Lazyeye Bob offers that he is happy and content.
- Vital Group of Lo-Fi Castaways
- More Australia preview articles, this one from Drum Media.
- Drinking + Loud Rock = Fun!
- Bob talks with Rave Magazine before their Australian tour.
- It's In There!
- Bob explains the theory behind Ragu rock in this Boston Globe show preview.
- And At #4
- Magnet Magazine names GBV #4 artist of 1999.
- Here for the Beer
- Brainsoap.com's preview for the Philadelphia TLA show, the first for GBV in 2000.
- CitySearch Chicago chats with Doug Gillard about recording DTC with Bob and Ric Ocasek.
- Big Room Filling Power Pop
- Houston Press Online chats it up with Bob.
- From Brilliant to Pathetic in a Half Hour?
- Dallas Morning News show preview.
- Her Psychology Today
- Sophie Vick interviews Bob Pollard for her H.S. Psychology class.
- Voted Most Likely To Receive Heavy Rotation
- Australia's Revolver Magazine chats with Doug about the recording of Do The Collapse.
- Everybody Wants A Hit
- Bob talks with Pitch Weekly for the Lawrence Kansas show preview.
- The Power of Suck
- From the UK magazine Select; another GBV article.
- Pump Up The Amp
- Amplifier Magazine interview with Bob Pollard.
- Prodigal Son Returns Home
- Dayton Daily News article capturing Bob's return home to play at X-fest.
- Only Stage Guzzling
- 10 GBV facts from NME.
- Hey Ringo!
- Great Dayton Daily News article about Greg Demos' and his GBV career.
- Fuck Rochester!
- This article from the Buffalo artvoice caused Bob to say the above at a recent GBV show.
- Six Degrees of Ric Ocasek
- Barnes and Noble.com chats it up with Bob.
- Dreaming Up Hits
- Find out in this NOW article where Bob came up with Hold On Hope.
- Hangover Advice
- Bob offers up hangover advice and Do The Collapse talk to the Toronto Eye.
- Indie Epics
- For the upcoming show in Toronto the Sun talks with Bob about the Do The Collapse.
- Staying at home for Y2K
- Bob discusses his New Years plans along with stories about recording with Ric Ocasek in
this interview from Rolling Stone.com.
- Rock Obligations
- Long time fan Dave McKenna's great article from the Washington Post on the day of GBV's
appearence with Cheap Trick.
- New Guitar Gods
- Guitar Magazine gets guitar techy with GBV.
- It's A Hell Of A Town
- Previews of the Chicago 8/6/99 show from New City and The Chicago Reader.
in the Groove
- Interview with Bob from Salon.com.
- Bob's Baby
- The Onion interviews Bob and talks about who really is Guided By Voices.
- Hitchin' A Ride
- CMJ article on GBV's trip to hi-fi.
- Radio Ready
- Article from Billboard Magazine on the release of Do The Collapse.
- Bob's All Time Top 10
- From JANE magazine, Bob tells his all time Top 10 albums.
- From GBV to Hanson
- Spin.com asks Bob about Ocasek producing the next Hanson album.
- A New Rivalry
- Bob reacts to a Man or Astro-Man? dis.
- Speaking with
- Good interview with Bob from the No Ugly Babies web zine.
- What's That Noise That I Hear? That Is The Question
- SXSW Preview from the Ausin American Statesman.
- Great interview with Bob from Ink Blot.
- Movin' On Up?
- Dayton Daily News article on GBV's potential label switch
- What's That Noise That He Hears?
- Don Thrasher of the Dayton Voice gathers for a Monument Club listening party of Kid
- It's Got To
Be On A Major
- Latest gossip on GBV recording news.
- They're Gonna Put Me In The Movies
- GBV heads out to LA and goes Hollywood.
- There Are 62 Better?!
- Alternative Press names Bee Thousand as one of its Top 90 albums of the 90s.
- Cleveland Rocks
- The Cleveland Free Press previews the Phantasy show and details GBV's Cleveland
- Translated from Swedish
- An interview with Bob from a Swedish rock mag.
- This Years Last Album
- MAGNET article about Watch Me Jumpstart and other GBV projects.
- Optical Hopscotch, Rainbow Billy & Sweet Jelly
- Bob talks with the zine Pink Eye.
- Kings of the Hardwood
- Dayton Daily News looks at the Pollard family sports legacy.
Driving on Pollard Boulevard
From Rolling Stone On Line. Bob talks about getting "lubed up" on stage.
- Friend, Fan & Former Member
- Jim Greer's Raygun article on Bob and Waved Out.
- Record Collecting Magazine Talks With The Ultimate Record
- Goldmine traces the history of GBV.
- Hometown Hero
- The Dayton Voice's Don Thrasher looks ahead to the new lineup of GBV.
- Who Are You, 97
- Eric Miller and Ptolemaic Terrascope get in depth with Bob.
- The Man From Dayton
- GQ magazine article captures Bob in his home town.
- Where the Magic Was Created
- Musician Magazine takes a look at Toby's 4-track (and now 8-track) home studio and talks
with Bob and Toby about how they made some of GBV's biggest hits.
- The King of Lo-Fi talks about The King of Beers
- From the brand new JANE magazine, Bob writes about his love of Bud.
- Bob talks about his duality as a melancholy soul and a rock and roll soul.
- Bob's Mixed Tape
- In an interview with Guitar World, Bob tells what he would put on his 60 minute mixed
- Lou Reed and Blondie
- New York Newsday's Central Park show preview..
- Tulsa World talks with Pollard
- A preview of GBV's show in OKC.
- Lamb Lies Down On I-71
- Bob and John sit down for chicken salad and questions with Spin On-Line.
- No! No! No!
- A digruntled writer(?) poses the question is Bob King Poser of the anti-God's? From Yeah
- He's still being guided by voices after all these years
- by Michael Jolly - From the Daily Texan. A review of Mag Earwhig! and a look with Bob
towards the future sound of GBV.
- GBV vs Dave Larsen
- This is the actual preview for the Gilly's show that Dave Larsen wrote in the Dayton
Daily News before he trashed them.
- Beer and Loathing on the Concert Trail
- by Jay Austin - originally published in Sacred City. See the first documented pic of the
- Sponic goes to the Monument Club
- A great new zine on the Ohio scene, Sponic, features an interview with Bob in their
- Cute Band Alert
- Blowfisher James Doehring found this brilliant piece on GBV from 1994 from Sassy
Magazine (yes Sassy).
- Year In Rock
- It's Jim Greer writing about GBV in the infamous Spin article before he joined the band.
One of the rare photos featuring Dan Toohey on bass.
- Have GBV Broken Up?
- This is the official article from the Dayton Daily News with Pollard addressing the
possible break up of the band.
- The Ptolemaic Terrascope
- Interview with Pollard from 1993. Interesting to look back now and read.
- Mo Ryan interviews Bob
- Mo Ryan in a superb 2 part interview with Bob before the Chicago Metro & Southgate
House shows in March of 1996
- Mike Velez writes about GBV for PDXS in 1996
- and in 1995.
- Our main man in Portland Mike checks in with two articles from PDXS in Portland, Oregon
- Segal takin good notes
- David Segal took the following notes and recorded the following observations while
seeing GBV in Dayton on April 6th 1996.
- On Guided Tour, Voices Carry ; Band Does It Their Way or No
- from Chicago Sun-Times - Feb 23, 1996. By By Jim Montalbano. Pollard discusses upcoming
album and the Urge Overkill Fiasco
- Tobin Sprout Interview - In NotreDame Paper
- by Dominic DeVito (firstname.lastname@example.org). Feb 17, 1969
Guided by Voices Of Experience; It Took 2,000 Songs to Get These
Aging Rockers Rolling
- from Washington Post November 03, 1995. By Dave McKenna, Special to The Washington Post
- 2 new articles from a great online music magazine "Puncture" The first
article - from 1993 - is the first full-length article written about the band.
- INTERVIEW WITH MITCH MITCHELL OF GUIDED BY VOICES
- by Eli Attie for Guitar World Magazine
Hear Mitch say " I live fast,man. I try to live hard, I try to have fun, I try
to get out, make the scene, make the parties, make practices, make shows.Everything I
always wanted to do revolves around rock and roll."
Guided By Voices - By Randee Dawn
(Copyright Critics' Choice 1994. All Rights Reserved.)
GUIDED BY VOICES -LIVE FROM DAYTON, OHIO - WEDNESDAY, JUNE 14, 1995 9:00 PM (ET)
Guided By Voices' prolific predicament.
By Tim Perlich. NOW - Toronto's News and Entertainment Weekly - October 19-25,